[Geysers] Norris Update 21 May (Pinto)

MA Bellingham mabdepot at msn.com
Fri May 21 20:28:32 PDT 2010

Hello Gazers, an update prior to your Memorial Day visit.

I am happy to report that what I said "must be something in the Lava Pool Complex" is actually Pinto Geyser.  Thanks to David Schwarz for the information and help.  I have seen it regularly since opening weekend.  The last two visits have both netted a 7 minute eruption following heavy overflow that had already been flowing upon my arrival.  I have not stayed long enough to watch if it refills post eruption, how long overflow is, and have no closed intervals.

Fireball continues, with durations of 6-8 minutes, interval has lengthened a bit to 19-23 minutes.  This came from 7 closed intervals on Monday, and 7 today.

Constant continues with intervals of 25-35 mins, most I have seen have 2 bursts, with 2 single burst eruptions with a nice push that looked good, but didn't follow through.

I have also seen Arsenic each visit, durations from 17-24 minutes.  I have seen it on the last 4 visits, but have no closed intervals.

The breakout under the boardwalk near the junction has now created a basketball sized opening outside the boardwalk, surging maybe 1.5 feet under the crust and splashing back.  Each visit I am expecting to see that the crust is broken and the hole visibly enlarged, but it wasn't today.

There is a LOT of water "around the corner" that pours through the Pinwheel area.

It's fun to have water in Porcelain again, the timing of the above 4 features can keep you occupied with duals or trios in varying combinations.   I hoped for a quad today, but it didn't happen.

Now all we need is Whirligig.

See you on the boardwalks,

MA

M.A. Bellingham