[Geysers] Grotto discharge

Moose, Allan E. MOOSEAE at uwec.edu
Wed Aug 30 08:43:40 PDT 2006

I have some thoughts on Scott's back of the envelop calculation below.
It seems (to me)  plausible that a Grotto marathon removes water from
the interstices below Giant and its associated geysers. Because water is
an effective absorber of heat (that's why it's used in car radiators)
and air isn't, the result is that the rocks around the interstices will
increase significantly in temperature. (Think of what happens to your
car when a radiator hose breaks.) Thus, when water fills in the voids
after Grotto ends, there is more energy available for the recovery hot
period and/or a Giant eruption.

Now, I have a question: Is the data available to do a linear regression
on the length of Grotto marathons and the time from Grotto's shut down
to the recovery hot period?

Allan Moose

"Science is just organized curiosity"
(Donald Kroodsma)