[Geysers] Grotto discharge

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Mon Aug 28 14:04:15 PDT 2006

An idle thought that likely is nothing more than that. But the other day
Ralph Taylor wondered about the discharge volume of Grotto Geyser. Looking at
Marler's Inventory, Marler cites a value of 670 gallons per minute -- that
strikes me as being precise enough as to have been determined by actual
measurement.

OK, so... do some multiplication and you find that a 33-34 hour long Grotto
marathon -- about as long as they ever can be -- will discharge something
around 1,000,000 gallons. And of course, the commonly-cited value of discharge
during a Giant eruption is 1,000,000 gallons.

So, Grotto has a long marathon, discharging 1,000,000 gallons from the
entire Grotto-Giant system. That volume is regained during the hours leading up  to
Giant's recovery hot period, which as we know frequently results in a Giant
eruption. So...

... now you carry the thought onward.