[Geysers] Giant 8/27 1143-ish

Paul Strasser upperbasin at comcast.net
Sun Aug 27 11:11:31 PDT 2006

We were called at 1155 and immediately got on the internet.  We saw nothing
on the webcam because of a strong wind pushing the column towards Round
Spring.  The people there weren't surprised that nothing was visible.  It
was not an especially tall eruption (for Giant).

FYI the fact we couldn't see it on the webcam isn't too surprising.  On the
9/12/87 eruption I was near the Inn and staring at an odd, very low steam
cloud down basin.  I really didn't verify 100% that it was Giant until I was
well past Castle.  Not all Giant steam clouds, especially in summer mid-day
with a breeze, are going to be high enough to peek over the ridge between
geyser hill and Sawmill.  Darn.

Normal function, big crowd on hand.

More details undoubtedly to follow

Paul S.