[Geysers] Quick geyser report, Aug. 18-21

Tara Cross fanandmortar at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 23 16:24:18 PDT 2006

A message from Tara Cross <fanandmortar at hotmail.com>

Getting Giant out of the way early Saturday morning sure does relieve the stress for the rest of the weekend.  I managed to see a lot of the regulars, and the weather was great.  Don't have tons to report but I'll share what I put in my book.

Little Squirt was i.e. at 1902 on August 18, and was still erupting the morning of the 19th.

Plume's intervals were in the usual range.

I know that it's been monitored diligently on the webcam, but here are the actual times for Beehive:

August 18 -- 1406
August 19 -- 1314 (Ind. 1259)
August 20 -- 1216 (Ind. 1158)
August 21 -- 1134 (Ind. 1124)

The West Bubbler was been active before the Indicator on all 4 days, though the time before was variable between a few minutes and over an hour.

The biggest news I have about Grand is that the prediction window has changed; instead of a 3-hour window starting at 6 1/4 hours, it's now a 4-hour window.  Ralph's latest analysis showed that the 3-hour window was only catching about 2/3 of the eruptions.  As for me, I basically ignored Grand the entire weekend.  The one eruption I did see was one burst and might have reached 100 feet--maybe.

The closed intervals I have for Oblong were in the 5-6 hour range, but I know that they have varied quite a bit recently, from 4-7 hours.

Grotto did not have another marathon until the 21st, when it was in eruption for the duration of daylight hours (0630ie-2130ie).  Giant hot periods were seen as early as the afternoon of the 19th; sorry, I didn't get the time from anybody and it wasn't in the logbook.  KC Thomson reported that while the duration was pretty short, Mastiff boiled to as much as 3 feet.  Sounds like a typical recovery for this summer's activity.

I saw one of Labial's Satellites (I think it's the East Satellite) on the 19th.  It was i.e. at 1636 when I drove by and continued to erupt for another 7 minutes.  Lynn reported that Labial had erupted at 1226; I am pretty sure it was post-eruptive when I drove by around 1845.

Fountain had closed intervals of ~6h44m on the 19th, 6h59m on the 20th, and 7h18m on the 21st.  Of the four eruptions I saw, three came from a low pool level.  On the morning of the 20th, Kitt Barger arrived at Fountain around 0730 and Fountain's pool was at a medium level.  It rose slightly over the next 2 1/2 hours until there was water out the channel, but it was still not close to flowing into Morning.

In the Kaleidoscope Group, Deep Blue's Vent #12 is still being seen frequently.  Fitful, NTFL, Honey's Vent, 1B, and 3 smaller vents of Deep Blue were also active.  I saw 3 eruptions of Drain on the 20th, at 1555, 1614, and 1632.

Paul, Suzanne, and I visited Geyser Creek on the 21st.  We did not see anything out of the ordinary.  Avalanche was erupting every 8 1/2-10 minutes.  Subterranean Blue Mud did not appear to be having discrete eruptions, but it was heard rumbling inside its cavern.  The bats have moved out for the season.

That's all I've got for now.

--Tara Cross
fanandmortar at hotmail.com