[Geysers] Director's order - comment

sgryc at comcast.net sgryc at comcast.net
Sat Nov 19 07:54:14 PST 2016

To Chris and any others,

The point of posting my comment was, in large part, to encourage others to post comments as well, so I am delighted that you took the time to send a comment to NPS using my post as some kind of model. My guess is that NPS will go ahead and approve their document, but we should not stop our advocacy for a better policy. Which brings up another topic.

I think that GOSA should be an advocacy group as well as a study and reporting group. I believe GOSA's "agreement" with NPS concerning the mention of backcountry thermal areas should be reconsidered. My understanding is that GOSA, in contradiction to its stated goal of seeking knowledge about and reported facts about thermal features, will not publish anything about any backcountry features. Indeed, it will not even mention those features. One can report on aspects of backcountry features without violating any of NPS' current bans. One can, for example, find research papers and other on-line sources of information about forbidden areas, because those areas are not forbidden to certain elites (researchers of various types from various institutions, both public and private). What does GOSA get in return for its self-imposed censorship? We, and all other non-elites, get banned from seeing important parts of Yellowstone. GOSA is simply playing into the hands of those misguided individuals in NPS who want to prohibit legitimate use of the park by pretending that those great backcountry thermal areas don't even exist.

Steve Gryc