[Geysers] Geyser Report 6/18/2016 (Stephens)

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 18 20:12:38 PDT 2016

THIS REPORT IS FOR THE PERSONAL USE OF THE READERS OF THIS LISTSERV AND IS NOT TO BE REPRODUCED FOR ANY PURPOSE, INCLUDING PUBLICATION IN THE SPUT.

I took my grandchildren Cassidy and Connor home on Thursday and had plans to collect data on three research projects over the next week.  Pink Cone sabatoged those plans late this afternoon when it did something I had never seen before.  I logged it as a minor eruption in geysertimes, but would classify it as an aborted eruption instead.  I've seen minor eruptions.  I've seen minor eruptions build to major eruptions.  But I've never seen a major eruption quit after just 13 minutes.

Traditionally minor eruptions occur about mid-cycle in Pink Cone's interval.  Because they occur in mid-cycle, the road bubblers are not active prior to the start of the minor eruption(s).  (I've seen series of minor eruptions in mid-cycle.)  Most minor eruptions last less than 5 minutes although I have seen longer durations.  Unless the minor eruption builds to a major, the next major eruption occurs about when expected.

The aborted eruption today occurred 21h42m after the prior major eruption, an interval slightly shorter than average for the season, but within the usual range for this season.  The road bubblers were active for about 3 1/2 hours prior to the eruption.  Pink Cone started heavy splashing about 40 minutes prior to the start of the eruption, again within normal parameters.  The eruption started, looked normal, lasted 13 minutes, then suddenly stopped.  No warning, it just stopped.  The road bubblers also stopped putting out water.  Generally the road bubblers continue to put out some water throughout the eruption and continue to flow for some time after the eruption ends.  Pink Cone was boiling and roiling deep in the tube.  The water action and level sounded about the way it does mid-cycle.  I waited three hours after the end of the eruption.  The roiling sound wasn't as hollow as it was immediately after the eruption ended, but otherwise there was not change in activity.  None of the road bubblers had started flowing.

I described my observations to Gordon Bower and he said he'd never seen or heard of this type of activity either.

Because Pink Cone was roiling and boiling instead of completely quiet the way it usually is for several hours after a major eruption, I would guess that the next interval will be a short one, so won't be surprised whatever time for Pink Cone is reported tomorrow.

Lynn Stephens