[Geysers] Geyser Report 6/18/2016 (Stephens)

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Sun Jun 19 18:47:37 PDT 2016

Wow, how neat! Thanks Lynn!!

Scott

In a message dated 6/18/2016 11:44:48 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
lstephens2006 at hotmail.com writes:

THIS REPORT IS FOR THE PERSONAL USE OF THE READERS OF THIS  LISTSERV AND IS
NOT TO BE REPRODUCED FOR ANY PURPOSE, INCLUDING PUBLICATION IN  THE SPUT.

I took my grandchildren Cassidy and Connor home on  Thursday and had plans
to collect data on three research projects over the  next week.  Pink Cone
sabatoged those plans late this afternoon when it  did something I had never
seen before.  I logged it as a minor eruption  in geysertimes, but would
classify it as an aborted eruption instead.   I've seen minor eruptions.  I've
seen minor eruptions build to major  eruptions.  But I've never seen a major
eruption quit after just 13  minutes.

Traditionally minor eruptions occur about  mid-cycle in Pink Cone's
interval.  Because they occur in mid-cycle, the  road bubblers are not active prior
to the start of the minor  eruption(s).  (I've seen series of minor
eruptions in mid-cycle.)   Most minor eruptions last less than 5 minutes although I
have seen longer  durations.  Unless the minor eruption builds to a major,
the next  major eruption occurs about when expected.

The aborted eruption  today occurred 21h42m after the prior major eruption,
an interval slightly  shorter than average for the season, but within the
usual range for this  season.  The road bubblers were active for about 3 1/2
hours prior to the  eruption.  Pink Cone started heavy splashing about 40
minutes prior to  the start of the eruption, again within normal parameters.
The eruption  started, looked normal, lasted 13 minutes, then suddenly
stopped.  No  warning, it just stopped.  The road bubblers also stopped putting
out  water.  Generally the road bubblers continue to put out some water
throughout the eruption and continue to flow for some time after the eruption
ends.  Pink Cone was boiling and roiling deep in the tube.  The  water action
and level sounded about the way it does mid-cycle.  I waited  three hours
after the end of the eruption.  The roiling sound wasn't as  hollow as it was
immediately after the eruption ended, but otherwise there was  not change
in activity.  None of the road bubblers had started  flowing.

I described my observations to Gordon Bower and he said  he'd never seen or
heard of this type of activity either.

Because  Pink Cone was roiling and boiling instead of completely quiet the
way it  usually is for several hours after a major eruption, I would guess
that the  next interval will be a short one, so won't be surprised whatever
time for  Pink Cone is reported tomorrow.

Lynn  Stephens

=

Geysers  mailing  list
Geysers at lists.wallawalla.edu