[Geysers] YNP News Release: Fatality at Norris Geyser Basin

David Monteith dmonteit at comcast.net
Wed Jun 8 21:04:49 PDT 2016

Below I've included the latest News Release from the NPS. I still
haven't heard the name of the feature.

Because GOSA has a research permit for the current Sawmill Study, today
I received 4 emails from the YRC reminding researchers of the dangers
of conducting research in the thermal areas and asking that all
researchers review their safety plans.

As might be expected two serious thermal incidents in 3 days has
everyone concerned.

Here is the YNP news release:

<https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/news/16032.htm>

Fatality at Norris Geyser Basin

Subscribe RSS Icon | What is RSS
Date: June 8, 2016
Contact: Morgan Warthin, (307) 344-2015

A man in his early 20’s walked off the designated boardwalk, slipped,
and fell into a hot spring at the Norris Geyser Basin Tuesday, June 7,
2016. Colin Nathaniel Scott, 23, from Portland, Oregon was with his
sister, Sable Scott, when the incident occurred approximately 225 yards
off the boardwalk near Pork Chop Geyser.The victim’s sister reported
the incident to rangers Tuesday afternoon.

Using extreme caution given the hazards of the thermal area, rangers
confirmed Scott’s death Tuesday evening. Today, rangers will focus
their efforts on recovering the body.

The Norris Geyser Basin is open. However, visitors should anticipate
temporary closures in the area until the investigation is complete.

“We extend our sympathy to the Scott family,” said Superintendent Dan
Wenk. “This tragic event must remind all of us to follow the
regulations and stay on boardwalks when visiting Yellowstone’s geyser
basins.”

This fatality is the second known thermal-related incident to occur in
the park during the 2016 summer season. Last Saturday, June 6, a father
and son suffered burns in the Upper Geyser Basin after walking off the
designated trail in the thermal area.

For information on safety around thermal features, visit
go.nps.gov/yellsafety.