[Geysers] Overhanging Geyser

Ben Hoppe ben.hoppe at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 21:48:16 PDT 2016

Greetings,

A couple of my co-workers at Grant Village were out on the lake on Friday,
July 22. They told me they saw a "cliff geyser" erupting. I asked if they
had photos, and they shared with me photos of Overhanging Geyser, however,
the main overhang is no more. The photographs they have are attached. They
observed Overhanging for over 10 minutes, and it was erupting water 2-3
feet in height both vertically and horizontally for the entire time they
watched.

I kayaked out past Overhanging last September, and the entire feature was
in tact, but I did notice bacteria growing on the underside of the feature
where there was also dripping water. Once I can get a hold of a kayak, I
will kayak out to observe it. I'll also see if I can track down a closer
range of dates for when this may have collapsed.

At West Thumb, nothing else has really changed all that much. We have some
water in Twin Geysers this year, however it is still well below overflow.
Much of the central boardwalk area has low waterlevels. Lakeshore Geyser
should be completely exposed from the lake within the next week or two. On
calm mornings, the pressure pool is not influenced at all by the lake.

Cheers,
Ben Hoppe