[Geysers] rRegarding responses to my eruption data request

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Thu Jul 21 08:43:39 PDT 2016

Ordinarily, I would make this response off-list, but since my original item
 appeared there and because there have been two on-list replies... here it
is.

First, to Gary: I never said that simple eruption time data was unimportant
 -- a single eruption time at least shows that something is/was active.
What I  did request is that any available details be included in the posting,
if  available. The GeyserTimes app/program allows comments to be entered.

What brought up this whole thing is that a group of gazers made the trek
into Shoshone, made observations that I would presume to be accurate and
complete, but then had posted by one individual with the bare eruptions times
and nothing more. There was no reference to other people. Yes, that one
individual was Will, which is why I wrote to him. Frankly, the response was
brief and curt -- sorry, but true -- saying in essence that such information
had  not been made available. Nothing additional was provided. A bit more
explanation  might have avoided this whole thing.

Clearly, my "inquiring mind" was not the only one that hoped for more
information because, as I noted, another person requested (maybe I should say,
"suggested") that I send that request.

How my request ended up going to "geysers-owner@" rather than simple
"geysers@" was apparently cause by sloppily clicking on the wrong line in an
address list-- an error that I'm pretty sure has never happened before. But
then  it was Carlton Cross who decided to post under his name, rather than
under mine  or rather than suggesting that I re-post with the correct address.
Under no  circumstances was this an attempt to avoid having my e-mail address
included. My  TSBryan at aol.com (caps not necessary -- an address that I've
had since the  days of using a 1200 baud modem to dial-up a long distance
phone number in hopes  of connection instead of getting a busy signal) has been
used hundreds of times  on this list. Though I rarely use it, I have a
second address at  Gzrgazer at gmail.com.

Mara, I'd have been happy to "actually talk to people who bothered [odd
choice of language] to hike all the way out to Shoshone] had I know who they
were. As noted, Will's name was the only one that showed up.

I also fail to understand how my request bore a "blatant air of
superiority." Do others agree?

'Nuff said. I hope.

T. Scott Bryan