[Geysers] Old Faithful Dec 21-22 2016 - Consecutive Shorts

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 29 13:45:50 PST 2016

I'm at Cape Disappointment without my library so can't give exact information.

Regression formula was periodically reevaluated when percentage of predictions outside the limits got too high.   At one time the prediction formula was plus/minus 5 minutes.  I've been trying to track down when it went to plus/minus 10 minutes.

I don't remember whether Rick's annual/biannual update if geyser activity had the full chart in it.  Those may be a source of information on the formula.  John Railey did some of the statistical analysis for Rick.  You might check Landis 1987 and 1988 reports.  Another source-the  junior ranger booklet had a modified version of the regression formula at least it did until 2-3 years ago.

Lynn
Sent from my iPhone