[Geysers] Geyser eport July 13 (Stephens)

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 13 19:04:54 PDT 2015

Gemini showed me another twist this afternoon.  After the first week or so when I stayed all day at Gemini, with exception of short trips to use facilities at Whiskey Flats, I then generally started waiting for two failed attempts by Gemini to erupt before leaving, although I would sometimes only wait for one failed attempt due to the need to go elsewhere.  (My definition of a "failed attempt" is when the water level in Gemini comes up, Gemini starts bubbling and pushing water out into the shallow sinter bowl, has a droplet or two of water that shoots up through the surface of the bubbles, then fails to progress further into eruption.)

This afternoon 17 minutes after the sixth eruption in a series, Gemini had a failed attempt.  (At 7 minutes water was visible in the tube, but dropped before reaching the top, which I don't count as a failed attempt.)  Maureen and I were talking.  Dean Lohrenz came by and then Rocco Paperiello stopped by.  As we were talking, Gemini started to fill, bubble, burble, push water through the bubbles, and erupted.  This seventh in the series occurred 33m29s after the sixth.

So now when visitors ask about intervals on Gemini, I give the spiel of a group of 3 to 8 eruptions separated by 4 to 35 minute intervals followed by a quiet period of several hours.

Wildlife--Two bull elk with large racks were in the meadow just west of Madison Junction this evening, but were not slowing traffic.  On the other hand there were two bull bison, separated by a few miles that did tie up traffic, adding about 40 minutes to my "normal" drive time back out to West Yellowstone.  But Kent Morby got tied up in a bison jam for 2 hours coming in from West Yellowstone today, so I guess I shouldn't complain very much.

Lynn Stephens