[Geysers] Experiences with El Tatio geyser field?

Udo Freund udofreund317 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 20:13:26 PST 2014

GOSA Transactions Volume VIII contains an in-depth, 47-page article written
on El Tatio by Alan Glennon and Rhonda Pfaff. I highly recommend purchasing
a copy from GOSA if you don't have access to one. Member price is $30
postpaid.

https://www.gosa.org/catalog/gosa00/T8.htm

The Extraordinary Thermal Activity of El Tatio Geyser Field, Chile - A
Special Report

Alan Glennon and Rhonda Pfaff

Abstract: El Tatio Geyser Field (locally known as Los Geiseres del Tatio) is
located within the Andes Mountains of northern Chile at 4,200 meters above
mean sea level, 150 kilometers east, southeast of Calama, Chile. With over
80 active geysers, El Tatio is the largest geyser field in the southern
hemisphere and the third largest field in the world, following Yellowstone,
USA, and Dolina Geizerov, Russia. From March 19-21, 2002, the authors
visited the geothermal field to inventory the geysers and their behavior. Of
over 110 erupting springs documented, more than 80 were identified as true
geysers and an additional 30 were perpetual spouters. Despite reports that
geyser activity occurred only in the morning, no abatement in activity was
observed at any time within any part of the field. Although the observed
activity was vigorous, eruptions commonly reached less than one meter. Of
the erupting springs cataloged, the mean spouting height was 69 centimeters.
Of the true geysers cataloged, the eruptions averaged 76 centimeters. El
Tatio Geyser Field contains approximately 8 percent of the world's geysers.

Thanks,
Udo Freund
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit
there."  --Will Rogers