[Geysers] Experiences with El Tatio geyser field?

Bill Johnson canbelto at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 11:59:44 PST 2014

And now, for a break from the depths of Northern Hemisphere winter, a
request for help on a very non-Northern Hemisphere subject...

My wife and I are planning a trip to Chile this spring that, if all goes
well, will include a visit to the El Tatio geyser field.  I would be very
interested in corresponding with any gazers who have been to El Tatio, to
try to get a better sense of how to get the most out of this experience
from a gazer's perspective.  We will be rather constrained on time, and
won't be able to spend multiple days there waiting for fun stuff, but it
won't be a Yellowstone-tourist touch-and-go visit to Old Faithful, either.
We have the advantage of already living at high elevation, so we won't be
quite as limited by the fact that El Tatio is at REALLY high elevation as
we might, although it'll obviously still be a factor.  We do have TSB's
book (of course) and will all but memorize what he has to say about the
place.

Any insights appreciated.  Suggest conducting this by private e-mail, as
it's probably of reduced interest to most list members, unless there's more
interest in El Tatio than I'm aware of.  Needless to say, we'll write
something up for the Sput when we get back, if there's anything to write
about.

-- Bill Johnson
canbelto(at)gmail.com