[Geysers] news from West Thumb

Janet White | SnowMoon, LLC janet at snowmoon.us
Thu Feb 20 12:42:42 PST 2014

Finally able to respond to this news - I, too, thank you, Cathy, for the
reports!

I've noticed over the years in my photo documentation of West Thumb that
these three springs have remained at virtually the same water levels
over the years (Ephydra will drop occasionally) while all around them
levels change in other springs.  I thought another spring (basically
across the boardwalk from Blue Funnel Spring) might also be connected,
but its water level dropped out of sight in maybe 2012 (?) and the other
three remained the same.

I remembered something in my research that said they were seen changing
together as well. Finally dug that out.

 From Ralph Taylor's Letter From the President in the August 2001 Sput
(Vol 15, No. 4):

    "Also, Bronco Grigg reports that the water levels in Blue Funnel
    Spring, Ephedra Spring, and Perforated Pool had dropped several feet
    (lower than when the new geyser east of Blue Funnel Spring first
    erupted)."

That letter also reported that Ledge and Collapsing Pool were erupting.

And a bit of personal news - Mike and I plan to be in Cody full time by
the end of March (no house yet, but Mom has graciously opened her house
to us until we find one). Can hardly wait!

Janet White
Field Journaling .com
Geyser Watch .com
Reporter for Yellowstone Gate .com