[Geysers] news from West Thumb

JOChapple jochapple at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 17 09:15:46 PST 2014

Dear Cathy and Gazers,

I am *so* happy to see that you are spelling Ephydra as it should be. It's been a long-time mission of mine to get the name changed or at least the sign corrected at West Thumb. In the second edition of Yellowstone Treasures I simply wrote "Ephedra Spring, which should be spelled Ephydra." Then in the third and fourth editions I have just used Ephydra.

Some years ago I wrote a detailed explanation of the need for a name change to the names committee chairman for GOSA, who did not find it important. To me it has been important for two reasons: most especially, ephedra or Mormon tea has caused the death of at least one person who overused it in recent years, and secondly, the plant does not grow in Yellowstone. But the brine fly (ephydra bruesi) is very common in the park's hot springs.

It's curious that the three springs in a row at West Thumb are low in water but not others in the area. There is still so much we don't know about the thermal features!

I'm also glad for a chance to say Thank You, Cathy, for the excellent reports you send us!

Best wishes,
Janet Chapple

Yellowstone Treasures author and publisher
www.yellowstonetreasures.com