[Geysers] Fountain Group Evening September 19th

Ruth & Leslie Quinn ruthleslie.ynp at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 21:05:40 PDT 2012

My wife and I were driving by the Fountain Group this evening, and at 1755 saw a burst that looked like it was probably Morning's Thief. So we stopped in just to enjoy the pretty evening. During the first part of the time we were there, Jet was erupting on about 7-minute intervals, and the water was a couple of feet below the rim in Fountain. Morning's Thief erupted again at 1826, 1842, 1852, and 1907. As it began at 1907 (virtually at the same moment), Fountain Geyser began as well -- the rising columns from both features were a stunning, wonderful site! We stayed for the entire eruption, and it was well worth it. Jet started an eruption at 1915 (not the first since Fountain had started, but the first that I bothered to note the time), and it didn't play alone either, as Super Frying Pan started right along with it. Jet's eruption was of its average duration, but Super Frying Pan played until 1922. Jet's subsequent eruptions were: 1918, 1921, 1924, 1926, 1928, 1929, 1930, 1932, 1934, 1935, 1937, 1939, 1940, 1941, 1942, and 1945, this last one just as Fountain Geyser stopped. We saw no more from Morning's Thief after Fountain started, but the wind direction could have hidden them in Fountain's cloud if they did occur. Spasm was boiling hard deep down inside its empty crater prior to Fountain starting. Its level never rose, and Fountain stopped it and mostly filled it, with the water dropping back out of sight in the latter part of Fountain's eruption. Clepsydra erupted continuously, although with diminished height in the latter part of Fountain's eruption. Finally Twig Geyser began at 1939, and was still erupting when we left at about 1948. A fun evening at the Fountain Geyser Group!
Leslie Quinn