[Geysers] Challenges/demands for the geyser geek

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 19 19:03:01 PDT 2012

I don't have the answer.  As Scott indicated, Marler discussed the 1966 rejuvenation in his Inventory.  I was unable to find an annual report for 1966 written by Marler.  I did find copies of monthly reports.  Here is what he said in his August report, which also doesn't seem to provide an answer:             Imperial Geyser:  the most signal geyser activity to occur
during the year was the rejuvenation of Imperial after 37 years of
dormancy.  Due to its isolated location
on the south side of the south Twin Butte in the Lower Basin,
no sustained observations have been made.
Neither the beginning nor the end of any eruption has been
observed.  However, it has been observed
that an eruption lasts for several hours.
Observations made in 1928 and 1929 by Allen and Day indicate that an
eruption lasted from two to five hours.
Current eruptions seem to be of equal length and are judged to be 30 to
40 feet in height.

            How long
the current cycle of activity lasts no doubt depends on how soon the eruptions
open up the fractures in the bottom of the crater permitting gas leakage, which
gas is necessary to bring about an eruption.
Imperial’s crater is in glacial gravels.
The same is true of Excelsior’s, resulting in active cycles being of
comparatively short duration with dormant phase lasting for many years.

And in the September report Marler wrote:             Imperial Geyser:  This geyser has been frequently visited by a
number of parties since its rejuvenation about the middle of August.  All who have observed it report activity
which was unabated during the time of their visit.  From this it is assumed it is erupting
steadily.  Most of the higher bursts are
form 30 to 40 feet with an occasional one higher.

Lynn Stephens