[Geysers] Fan & Mortar Thusday September 13, 2012

Barbara Lasseter barbara.lasseter at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 19:07:19 PDT 2012

I arrived at Fan & Mortar just before 0930 to allow the gazers there
to grab some breakfast.  They had to eat fast!!

At about 0922 River came on followed immediately by Gold and shortly
after by Angle.
Gold turned off at 0931
River and Angle turned off at 0932.
Main had a significant splash at 0945 and River came immediately.
The next Main splash was 0948 and splashes occurred at least every
minute for the next 17 minutes (bringing us to 1004).  Lots of modest
splashes and steam!
River off at 1000 for a pause.
No water was seen in Main at 1005, 1007, or 1008.
The last noted splash in Main was at 1009.
River came on at 1024.
Gold came on at 1028.
Angle on at 1037.
Water levels got a bit meager for a while, then resurged.
Just before 1040 water levels became excellent, especially in High!
I did not call lock til 1043, and perhaps should have a minute or 2
sooner.  High was a persistent 4-5 feet, but Gold was only a foot or
less. (And I was moving out of the target zone)
East vent started at 1045.  Mortar kicked in very quickly.
Lots of steam!
Folks at the Morning Glory end braved the spray to dash to the bridge
to capture rainbows which extended across the trail.

The view of the water was obscured by steam, but for many of us this
was more than compensated by the vibrant rainbows.

The last burst in which water was seen ended at 1121 for a duration of
36 minutes.

Barbara Lasseter