[Geysers] Challenges/demands for the geyser geek community.

Eric Hatfield conanvandt at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 15 20:38:20 PDT 2012

Challenges/demands:

1) Reestablishment of real benchmarks for distance to vents.  This is possible.  We don't need to put nails and markers in the boardwalk or pavement, which are doomed to disappear in days.  We just need to know real distances between permanent features.  Grand to Belgian.  Fountain to Twig/Spasm.  Giant to GIP/Oblong.  Everywhere, the possibilities are endless and permanent.  We have put forth a huge effort toward recording times, producing tomes of data.  We get excited about Grand starts vs. Turban starts.  But who knows whether if a given geyser is BIGGER this year or not??  Nobody.  It's all guess and blurry memory.  What would we really get excited about?  2% more or less frequent, or BIGGER?

We are ignoring the subjectively most important data point.  In the 90s, I tried to produce all these measurements with maps and rulers.  I abandoned the project after considerable effort, when it became clear that the maps were totally inaccurate when measured at these distances.  In the era of Google Earth, etc., can we produce a better method for real height measurement, and actually start measuring??  I open the floor to anyone with an idea.

2)  Youtube is now full of vids of our favorite rare geysers.  I have still not seen a video of a Steamboat major.  They exist.  UPLOAD THEM.

3) I will pay money to anyone who uploads the text of Hutchison's and the related reports of Excelsior in 1985 to the Internet.  I think they are in the transactions.  Will the transactions ever make an electronic appearance?

4) Videos of Excelsior in 1985 exist....

5) This list has still never reproduced the picture of Monarch Geyser I once saw in a book but have never seen again.  I've seen one picture of Imperial in full eruption in it's early days--in the national library in ICELAND....  Et cetera.

6) Ask questions of the list.  Let's prod ourselves to produce stuff we don't see often.  We currently know more about geysers than anyone has ever known, and this stuff will only disappear to history when we die.

Could be fun!

Wake up... Giant... Wake UP!