[Geysers] Geyser Report May 24, Stephens

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Thu May 24 20:03:16 PDT 2012

THIS REPORT IS FOR THE PERSONAL USE OF THE READERS OF THIS LISTSERV AND IS NOT TO BE REPRODUCED FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSES, INCLUDING PUBLICATION IN EITHER THE SPUT OR THE TRANSACTIONS. I split my time between Till and Fountain Group today.  Since the entrance to the Steel Bridge is closed for bear management, I was able to park my pickup in the entrance facing Till.  Many many government vehicles went past me.  Several slowed and I waved to let them know I was sitting in the pickup, not parked so I could walk back to Fairy Falls, which several people started to do until I commented that the area was closed.  One employee driving his personal stopped this afternoon to check on me because he had also seen me in the morning.  When I explained I was collecting data and offered to show him my logbook, he said it was OK. I could have left Till this morning when I heard Jim call Beehive's Indicator and made it to the Upper Basin for Beehive's eruption, but I decided today might be the only day to get a complete cycle of afterbursts, so I sacrificed Beehive.  I wouldn't have made it to the Upper Basin for the 4-burst Grand, even if I hadn't planned to stop at Till on the way south since I waited a few minutes longer than Maureen did before leaving the Fountain Paint Pot parking lot. Till--two durations, each 33 minutes, and two quiet periods (end of major to start of the first afterburst)--both about 19 minutes.  One complete cycle of afterbursts consisting of 18 afterbursts.  The last one ended 3h50 minutes after the major started.  i finally have a closed interval from major to major--10h10m. Fountain Complex:  Twig was not ie at 0600 so I knew Fountain had probably erupted before 0400.  I arrived at the Fountain complex at 1215.  The first eruption of Morning's Thief that I saw occurred at 1229, followed by eruptons at 1256, 1329, 1347, 1356, and 1405.  Morning's Thief erupted again at 1413 and 1416 during Fountain's eruption.  There may have been additional eruptions that were obscured after Fountain started.  Fountain's duration was "only" 36 minutes.  Again, Spasm started a few minutes before Fountain.  I had one eruption of Super Frying Pan, which had a duration of about 7 minutes.  Twig started two minutes after Fountain ended, so I still haven't seen a Fountain eruption that wasn't accompanied by an eruption of Twig Geyser starting near or just after the end of Fountain.  I stayed until 1528 and Clepsydra hadn't paused. NTFL--I noted it in eruption yesterday (5/23) afternoon and saw one eruption again this (5/25) afternoon. I haven't seen any eruptions of either Kaleidoscope or Kaleidoscope's Drain although there is a feature just to the left of them that has been erupting.  I also haven't seen any eruptive activity from Deep Blue or the vents in Deep Blue. Lynn Stephens