[Geysers] Gazers

Stephen Eide stepheneide at cableone.net
Mon May 14 01:43:49 PDT 2012

Greetings and Salutations.

Gazers come in all shapes, sizes, temperaments, and any other measure you
want to include.  We sometimes appear to have leaders, but we don't have to
follow them.  There are some general rules, but you can ignore them if you
want.   We can sometimes appear (or sound like) we are rude or unkind,
usually that is not intended, although sometimes it is.  I think sometimes
we are just so focused on the geysers that we forget some of our people
skills.  I don't think I have ever seen Jim intend to hurt anyone's
feelings.  I don't think I have ever intended to hurt someones feelings in
the park, but I know I have now and then.  Usually it is when my desire to
correct some geyser info kicks in before my tact is turned on.

As for the visitor's center, they DO want to hear all geyser times and I
believe they do make an effort to record them all.  However this is only
part of what they do and it can be very busy and noisy in the Visitor's
Center.  Sometimes they do not hear the radio calls over the noise or are
helping someone else and cannot respond.  This is most likely to be true
just after OF erupts but can happen at any time.  Also, it is possible that
you know more about the geyser than the ranger hearing the call and they
may not understand.  There are several new rangers on the desk and they
just started.   A call of Uncertain Geyser can lead to confusion on the
part of the ranger for example.  Some of them are just learning the ropes
so I do ask that you try to understand any problems may just be a
misunderstanding.  They are human, and sometimes are very busy humans.

These topics come up now and again.  I think on the whole everyone involved
wants to do the kind and correct thing, but sometimes we fall short.

Stephen Eide