[Geysers] The community of geyser gazers

Michael Goldberg goldbeml at ucmail.uc.edu
Sun May 13 22:30:52 PDT 2012

I got more than I bargained for in today's geyser summary.
There are too many tangled issues here to consider them all at once, or
even individually.  At the very least I can spot:

1. Are geyser gazers clique-ish and territorial?  How often do they run
into conflict with park visitors and NPS employees?
I'll wait for Dave M to kick-start that discussion.

2. Who owns the OFVEC logbook?
It is the property of the NPS.  I'll guess that it belongs first and
foremost to the park geologist, even if the Old Faithful interpretive
staff might have a valid claim on it as well.

The question of who is authorized to enter times in the logbook has always
created trouble.  Different geyser gazers have different standards of
accuracy in their watches, different ideas about which events are
noteworthy, and in some instances a different notion of what constitutes
an eruption.  The end result is that an open logbook gets filled with
moderately inconsistent data.  With occasional episodes of complete
gobbledegook.

Limiting logbook entry to a short list of trusted sources (and/or marking
other reports with a "vr") does improve the quality of data recorded.
But then you have to know the right people to get on the short list,
and it ticks off everyone who doesn't get the official seal of approval,
and they get discouraged from sharing their observations at all.
Is that a fair trade-off?  For the OFVEC logbook's owner, it probably is.

3. Who owns the FRS "geyser channel"?
It is public-access spectrum. I imagine any attempt to police traffic on
the FRS airwaves is a clear violation of FCC regulations.  On the other
hand a personal request not to call repeated times for preplay splashing
at Lion seems within the rules.  Somewhere in between there's a legal
threshold, and I don't know the applicable law well enough to say where
it is.

4. What geysers should be called on the radio?
I've been out of the park for too long and don't know the current social
conventions.

5. What counts as an eruption?
For certain geysers this is also a social convention.  So are the
nicknames of features (either with or without an official USGS name),
the notion of an "event cycle" at Fan and Mortar, and whether Pump Geyser
is a perpetual spouter.

Personally, I've never considered the 1-foot boils from North Goggle as
an eruption and I was unaware until now of anyone who did.  That makes a
big difference if you're going to compare some of the recently recorded
11-minute intervals to past historical activity.

6. What does any of this have to do with GOSA, the listserv, the chat
pages, and/or online logbooks?
In a strict legal sense, nothing.  However many of the same people who
routinely visit Yellowstone and call times on the radio also send
reports to the listserv, spend time on geyser-related internet sites, post
times to the publicly accessible logbooks, and contribute to the nonprofit
organization GOSA.  So a dispute in any one arena tends to resurface
everywhere else.  And confuse a lot of people who weren't privy to the
origins of the dispute.

I guess we'll have a lot to talk about this week, even if F&M and Giant
both stay dormant...

Michael Goldberg
Michael.Goldberg at uc.edu