[Geysers] Fountain and Great Fountain

David Schwarz david.schwarz at alumni.duke.edu
Fri Jun 22 10:01:11 PDT 2012

   I just reread Maureen's report from a week ago, excerpted below, in
light of recent events.  In particular, note the second paragraph,
describing to the 6/13 afternoon eruption of Fountain.  Fountain always
throws some rocks, but it threw so many during that eruption that an
experienced observer commented on it.  You know what puts a lot of debris
into Fountain, especially if it hasn't erupted in 18 years?

   I realize we don't have much data, and what we have is incomplete, but
the intervals of Fountain in the last couple of days haven't been that
different from before Morning was first seen--single intervals of mostly
10-12 hours, doubles of 20-24.  What if Morning has just recently started
throwing the occasional odd eruption midway between eruptions of Fountain,
exactly when no one would be looking for anything to happen out there?
 Just a thought.

David Schwarz