[Geysers] UGB on July 12, 1883

JOChapple jochapple at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 14 08:17:29 PDT 2012

That geyser gazers should be so lucky in the 21st century!

I just came across this quote from a trip account manuscript by H. B. Wiley. It appeared in the Spring 1953 (Vol. 3, no. 2) issue of Montana, Magazine of Western History.

Thursday, same camp. [We] have seen Old Faithful in eruption four times and as I write, it is at it again. . . After supper of bacon and friend [sic] potatoes we had a smoke and were thinking of turning in when hearing a mighty rambling and feeling a trembling of the earth, we rushed out to find that the Giant was in eruption. It is a terrible geyser. Just as we started to return we saw the Fan in eruption and rushed down there and before that was over the Riverside erupted. So we went to see that. We started homeward again but hearing another rush, we looked over and saw the Splendid in motion. So over we went and saw a most beautiful spectacle. The sun had set, but the moon was clear so that we had a view of Splendid by moonlight. It is a geyser of great beauty and the effect of the moonlight was very weird and beautiful. The "Grotto" was in full eruption also.

Janet Chapple