[Geysers] FRS rebroadcast

Bruce Jensen bpnjensen at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 17 08:02:10 PDT 2012

________________________________
 From: David Monteith <dmonteit at comcast.net>
To: Geyser Reports <geysers at lists.wallawalla.edu>
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2012 10:55 PM
Subject: [Geysers] FRS rebroadcast

>>All:

I have a few concerns about broadcasting the FRS traffic but possibly
not what you are expecting.

I'm wondering how the FRS signal would be relayed?  First, FCC
regulations specifically prohibit connecting FRS radios to a "public
switched network" -- read telephone system.  Second, the spirit of the
FCC regulations concerning FRS radios is that the FRS frequency bands
are for public use over short distances.  Connecting the radios to
anything designed to extend the range of the radios is prohibited as is
modifying the radios to enhance their range.  As if the first two
weren't problematic enough, I have one last problem.  Where would the
FRS radios be connected to a system to relay the signal?  Given their
short range, possibilities are limited and I doubt the park service or
concessionaires would be willing to house such a venture, especially if
the FCC regulations are a concern.

In short, while I find the idea intriguing, I don't think that the
regulations allow for the rebroadcast of the FRS traffic.

Dave

PS  FCC regulations concerning FRS radios have been conveniently
compiled at http://home.provide.net/~prsg/frsrules.htm#%22192%22 <<

Thanks, Dave.

Technically, connecting the VICs receiving radio's speaker output to the video stream input would be one way to make the connection so that calls could be heard via internet.  I have no idea how easy or convenient this would be - probably not very - but at least it's possible.

The other red flags you raise, however, are far more important.  I doubt if the FRS regs could be twisted enough in their current form to legally acommodate this use, either by a private person or a public entity such as the NPS.  IOW, it just ain't legal, and to ask a government agency to jump on board with an idea that contradicts federal law is asking an awful lot.  The regs regarding GMRS radios, which use some of the same channels but require a simple-to-obtain user license, provide no additional latitude in this regard either.

Unless the VIC is willing and able to get special permission from the FCC to implement this idea, it is likely not viable.

Bruce Jensen