[Geysers] FRS rebroadcast

David Monteith dmonteit at comcast.net
Mon Jul 16 22:55:48 PDT 2012

All:

I have a few concerns about broadcasting the FRS traffic but possibly
not what you are expecting.

I'm wondering how the FRS signal would be relayed?  First, FCC
regulations specifically prohibit connecting FRS radios to a "public
switched network" -- read telephone system.  Second, the spirit of the
FCC regulations concerning FRS radios is that the FRS frequency bands
are for public use over short distances.  Connecting the radios to
anything designed to extend the range of the radios is prohibited as is
modifying the radios to enhance their range.  As if the first two
weren't problematic enough, I have one last problem.  Where would the
FRS radios be connected to a system to relay the signal?  Given their
short range, possibilities are limited and I doubt the park service or
concessionaires would be willing to house such a venture, especially if
the FCC regulations are a concern.

In short, while I find the idea intriguing, I don't think that the
regulations allow for the rebroadcast of the FRS traffic.

Dave

PS  FCC regulations concerning FRS radios have been conveniently
compiled at <http://home.provide.net/~prsg/frsrules.htm#%22192%22>