[Geysers] Question for the Historians - Gary Henderson

JOChapple jochapple at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 19 19:34:20 PST 2012

Hello Gary,

The Haynes Official Guide for 1912 shows clearly on the Upper Geyser Basin map that the Wiley Camp (not motor camp, since cars were not yet allowed in the park) was located on the hill just north of the trail (then a road) from Grotto to the north side of Daisy Geyser. They drew hot water for the camp from Punch Bowl Spring, and you can still see the notch in Punch Bowl's formation which was cut for that purpose. It is hard to imagine a tent camp on that hill now, since the trees have had nearly 100 years to grow back since the camp was removed.

Incidentally, the map shows the stage road passing between Daisy and Comet—a crazy place for a road, it seems to me!

Janet Chapple
-------