[Geysers] Fan and Mortar 8/12/2012

jimscheir at aol.com jimscheir at aol.com
Sun Aug 12 16:30:48 PDT 2012

There is good news and bad news.

The good news is that F&M erupted today at 1514 for an interval of 6 days 6 minutes. It was a Main Vent start.

Also Grand had an interval of 5 hours 40 minutes today, the shortest of the season.

The bad news is that as we monitored F&M the last 4 days no event cycles and very, very few "normal" cycles were seen. Angle refused to turn off. It was doing in brief cycles with Angle staying on when I went up to the lower store. Shortly after I got there (riding rapidly) it jumped from "garbage" to a very brief and possibly normal cycle. I scrambled for my bike when I heard lock called. The eruption followed within about 3 minutes of lock being called. Gazers already at Riverside barely had time to get there for the start. I biked rapidly and only missed about 3 minutes.

This is probably what happened for the previous eruption that was seen only from Grand.

I hope that this mode does not continue.

Jim Scheirer