[Geysers] 3/24

carolyn loren caroloren98 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 24 13:06:42 PDT 2011

I skied in view of the basin again today, and had a picnic with a view of Grand 1136 i.e., Daisy 1143 n.s. (what a geyser, within a few minutes each morning I've seen it lately), and Oblong 1155 i.e.  At least that's what it looked like from on high.  Wolf tracks all over those hills, too.

I got some opening weekend questions (glad to help) that many could be interested in, so here's my thoughts.

There's plenty of skiable snow on the bike path, and I wouldn't expect it will be among the first things done, but will pass it along to those who may have some influence.  There's a skeleton staff right now, and I just heard there will be fewer maintenance workers this summer than in the past, so if you have snowshoes....

The benches at Grand, Riverside and other spots are completely covered as of now.  It's March 24, though, and it's getting above freezing most days.  I should also say that bison walking on snow then walked on two Riverside benches, crushing them.  They're the two directly opposite Riverside.  They're toast.

As for carcasses, I don't see how the Geyser Hill carcass can go anywhere; the ones near the outbound road should be mostly eaten by opening, but there will be more between now and then.  Law enforcement will probably open and close as they feel they need to.  There should be plenty of grizzly food lots of places in the park, though.

I'll try to remember to report conditions nearer opening day.  Feel free to remind me.

Carolyn Loren