[Geysers] Fan and Mortar history

Carlton Cross cross at bmi.net
Wed Dec 21 23:41:14 PST 2011

One response is, Why not?  It's fun, it creates an historical record,
it creates stories for the next generation, and a person who has read
the behavioral descriptions knows better how to invest time to see
eruptions.  It's pretty clear that the people who have paid the most
attention to behavior patterns have seen the most eruptions.

Scientifically, it's purely observation mostly beyond explanation,
but, every once in a while, a pattern shows up or geysers separated
by some distance can be shown to have related behavior.  I'd guess it
has almost no predictive value for even ten or twenty years from now.

The USGS (or maybe the NPS) monitors the river outflows from the Park
and then derives an estimate of the total thermal output.  These data
show a significant decreasing trend in total thermal activity.  Over
a long enough period of time, the geyser activity data will probably
correlate pretty well with the trend of the total thermal output.  If
you don't have the data on record, you'll never notice any correlations.

Carlton Cross