[Geysers] Fan and Mortar history

JEFFREY CROSS jeff.cross at utah.edu
Wed Dec 21 23:41:38 PST 2011

Why do people wait for Fan and Mortar?  Of the large geysers that erupt frequently enough to be seen, Fan and Mortar is the most difficult to observe, usually erupting once or twice a week.  Seeing an eruption is therefore a challenge.  Prior to the early 2000s, the hot periods showed an interesting progression that could stretch out for over an hour prior to the eruption, thus building suspense.  Because the eruption is spectacular, it's worth the wait.  I've heard Mortar's roaring eruption from a distance of 0.4 miles, and I have seen Fan's eruption throw water laterally to about 125 feet.  Brilliant rainbows are often visible in the spray during early morning eruptions.  With Mortar roaring loudly from its two large vents, and Fan spraying water in all directions, the entire river bank seems to be in eruption.

Of what significance is the activity of Fan and Mortar to our understanding of the Yellowstone hydrothermal system?  Probably the best way to study the hydrothermal system would be to monitor the flow of hot water from the system.  This has been done in Yellowstone by monitoring the flux of chloride out of the Park (Friedman and Norton in USGS Professional Paper 1717).  Chloride is abundant in hot spring water, but not in surface water, so chloride flux correlates with hot spring discharge.  Data on the eruptive frequency of individual geysers usually have too much natural variation to be useful.  If numerous geysers changed their activity at once, however, that would be significant.  Note, however, that Friedman and Norton made an interesting graph correlating the increasing interval of Old Faithful with an 11% decrease in hydrothermal output in the Park between 1983 and 2003.

Jeff Cross
jeff.cross at utah.edu