[Geysers] Vixen and Whirligig

tsbryan at aol.com tsbryan at aol.com
Thu Sep 2 17:36:34 PDT 2010

I spent the morning at Norris, mainly watching Vixen. I was joined by M A Bellingham for much of the time, and she stuck around for a long time after I left. Some of the below is realyed from her.

Vixen
time; interval; duration

0909; ----; 27sec
missed two or three
0951; ----; 40sec
1006; 15 min; 73 sec
1029; 23 min; 25 sec
1036:39; 7 min; 29 sec
1047:06; 10m 27s; 20 sec
1052:39;  5m 33s; 19 sec
1101:58; 9m 19s; 63 sec
1118:15; 16m 17s; 37 sec
at that point I departed, but MA reports that there was a major (duration 4m 52s) at "high noon" followed by an interval of 31 minutes.

Earlier, I saw a nice eruption of Constant and one of Fireball. That was about all.

Later, MA saw a series of fou eruptionsr by Constant but here is her big news, passed along at her request:

Whirligig erupted, the first in a long time. At first, the eruption discharged orange-colored, funny-smelling water. The eruptive bursts included one hat. The duration was 6 minutes.

Should people head for Norris, be aware that there is no nighttime road closure, BUT that there are still delays. One flag area is at Gibbon Falls (for me today, waits of about 20 minutes both directions), and another flag around Beryl Spring-Artists Paint Pots road (northbound 2 minutes, southbound 12 minutes).