[Geysers] geyser report Tues 5-18-2010

Barbara Lasseter barbara.lasseter at gmail.com
Tue May 18 18:36:05 PDT 2010

33 degrees going into the park 0615, 60 degrees returning about 1315
with some mares tails, wind, and variable clouds.

Dean Lohrenz arrived in the park today.

As I was driving in along the Firehole near the "S" curves, I met a
caravan bringing a long "substandard"(?) trailer out.  Had I realized
what was headed my way in time, I would have pulled over and grabbed
my camera for a photo, just in case someone might recognize it.  Can't
wait to see if it gets set up as housing here in West.

Visitor interaction of note:  At Beehive, with the indicator starting,
one hurried visitor couldn't stop because his video camera was
inoperable for some reason.  He must only see significant places and
events in his life through the viewfinder..too bad.

A tour group referred to Grand from Beehive because "it shouldn't be
missed" took a good 20+ minutes to reach Grand, missed the start, then
reportedly spent more time watching marmots than Grand.

On the plus side, multiple visitors back-tracked on the boardwalk to
thank gazers for alerting them to an impending eruption, or for
pointing out interesting features they might otherwise have missed.

Beehive: 0946 (water @ 0931, indicator at 0933)  Dual with Old
Faithful which started at 0945.

Plume: 0524,.... 0821, 0922

Lion: was splashing all morning but had not erupted by the time I
left.  I saw Little Cub ie at 0856, 1029, and 1238.

Depression: 0715ie, 0959, 1244ie  ( 3 times before lunch!  Eat your
heart out mid-summer gazers)

Aurum: puddled boardwalk and only deep hissing, no rumbling at about
0745.  Called at 1134.

Castle: 0430e

Grand: 0016e; Jim Scheirer saw it in overflow at 0535, then had Turban
intervals of 40, 21, 21, and 38 minutes.  He called the Grand eruption
at 0821   D3G1Q  d=10min, 56 sec

Oblong:  0714ns, 1139ie

Riverside: 0719

Daisy:  0728, 0940, 1151

Grotto was ie at 0605

Uncertain: 1220 after a good hour of promising splashing

Thunderstorms predicted for late tomorrow.

Barbara Lasseter