[Geysers] geysers in Ladakh

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Mon May 3 16:27:51 PDT 2010

I have long known of vague references to geysers in Ladakh, that remote
"province" of India hard agains Tibet. At some point I did a bunch of
searching  and came up empty. But today I searched again and came up with quite a
few  items that all refer to two localities.

One is Chumathang, where boiling springs are described as geysers. Are they
 really? Maybe, but if so then they probably are of the "bubble-shower"
type.  Photo attached; it certainly cannot be used in any way, but I don't know
 who the photographer is. Chumathang is noted for its thermal baths that
travelers partake of before traveling farther into the mountains.

Farther into the mountains the travelers will eventually find the  geysers
at Puga Sumdoo, near the village of Mahe. Once source states that there  are
"numerous"geysers there. Another states that one (at least) plays to about
15 meters height and that: "These fountains of water represent phenomenon
in  winter when the boiling water comes down in the shape of ice blocks with
the  impact of chilly winds and form mounds next to the geysers."

I am rather certain that there are additional geyser localities within
Ladakh. Should anybody do a search that reveals more, I'd love to hear it.