[Geysers] Lion data analysis

Michael Goldberg goldbeml at ucmail.uc.edu
Thu Mar 11 22:16:02 PST 2010

Scott,

Thanks for putting together the Lion intervals chart.  I do see some
correlation between longer series and longer series intervals.  But I
think most of it comes from the amount of time that the series itself is
in progress.

Inspired by your chart, I created a little Excel file comparing the length
of the quiet period (from the last eruption of one series to the next
initial) to series length.  Hopefully it does not contain too many
time-arithmetic errors.

To me the numbers looked more or less random.  I'd like to get a second or
third opinion.

The data set starts on October 14, 2009.  Lion had a then-ordinary series
with two eruptions at 0537 and 0712 then fell quiet for a then-unusual
(but now ordinary) period of time.  The switch to long series with long
break in between was more or less immediate.

I remain generally skeptical of Geyser Hill connection theories, however
it is striking that Giantess initiated an eruption at 0448 on October 14.
And it is similarly striking that Giantess' eruptions at 17:10 on 12/24
and 13:49 on 1/30 take place during Lion's two longest periods of
silence.

Lion didn't have as much reponse to Giantess on 7/6/09, 5/8/08, or
7/25/06.  [Though the jury could really go either way for 5/8/08.]

All of this leaves me at a complete loss to predict what Lion might do
next.  As usual.

Michael Goldberg
Michael.Goldberg at uc.edu