[Geysers] Strokkur Geyser From Janet Chapple

David Schwarz david.schwarz at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 23:42:29 PDT 2010

   Morning can produce dramatic blue bubbles, and Grand can produce small
ones as it starts bursts (particularly the first).

   All that's happening in a blue bubble is that the surface of the geyser's
water column is being lifted (usually by a rising steam bubble well below it
in the column) without breaking it.  Surface tension holds the water
together in a dome shape until the surface is stressed beyond its ability to
hold its shape, or, more commonly, until the steam bubble reaches the
surface and breaks it.

   The color is blue for the same reason that clear pools with white walls
appear blue--scattering and/or selective absorption of visible light.

David Schwarz