[Geysers] Upper Geyser Basin 1/15/2010

Karen Low yellowstonekaren at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 13 13:01:30 PST 2010

Castle was ie at 10:15, and it was a major eruption.

Little Brother is definitely not doing the same behavior that it had all last summer.  I waited 5 minutes there, and nothing happened.

Sawmill started at 1038, and the group was in a deep drain.  Eruption was short, since it was off again by 1130.

Wave Spring had a higher water level than it did last month.  Beauty was overflowing towards the boardwalk.  Chromatic was overflowing away from the boardwalk, but its overflow dies out.  Beauty had hoof prints in the pool, along the edge closer to Wave.

Fan and Mortar had a new marker, placed after the snow last night.  There were ski tracks to where someone had taken off their skis by the Fan Geyser sign, walked (in NNN-BC ski boots) to the Spiteful Geyser sign and gotten off the boardwalk and back on.  I didn't ask at the VC which interp had placed the marker.

I caught Daisy at 1112 ie.  A father and son from Australia, who were on my Canyon Day Tour on Monday said they saw Aurum Geyser erupt "around" 1100.  I called the VC for them to ask for a Grand prediction (1800 +/- 2hr)  As I got up on the hill, I saw Plume ie at 1135.  I reached for the radio to call it, and my radio wasn't on its hook, so I had to backtrack to get it.

Old Tardy and Bulger were both ie at 1141.

Arrowhead spring had high water level and a few gentle bubbles.  Depression's water level was ~ 6 inches below the rim.

Little Squirt was ie at 1200.

I waited for Plume at 1228.  Lion was doing some steam huffs, but didn't start while I was on the hill.  Beehive was pretty quiet, but the fresh snow from last night on the boardwalk was undisturbed.  There was a lot of litter on the hill, but the VC staff declined my generous offer to use their long handled grabber and get what I could reach with that while staying on the boardwalk.

If I get ambitious I'll put pics of Castle with a rainbow and Plume up on facebook.

Karen Low