[Geysers] 'tis the season

carolyn loren caroloren98 at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 18 10:06:31 PST 2010

We've got snow, we've got geysers, it's just a little challenging working with both.

As of this morning, the Great Fountain logger (in for the winter) is installed at Grand, where it worked yesterday but not today.  The Grand logger was brought in when it failed, was dried out and reinstalled at Daisy this morning; we'll see if it gives us any data tomorrow.  We'll try to dry the Dasiy logger, or see why it isn't recording temperatures, and be ready for the next change-out.  Make sense?  Of course not!  We're also taking 3 or 4 shuttles with us at a time, as they randomly don't seem to work.

At first covering the usual spots during the geyser prediction opportunity didn't quite work since breaking trail takes so long, but the groomer has now groomed, so we should be able to check everything on most days that we're out.  (Once evening programs begin, we won't get out every day.)

Anyhoo, Fan & Mortar markers were placed off and on during the quiet time, but weren't checked often enough to tell us much.  A new marker was placed 12/16, and is still in place today, 12/18.

Lion's erupting as I write this, 1048 i.e., and it appears Grand erupted sometime between 0920 and 1030 (full on the first GP visit, empty the next with - I believe - Vent and Turban i.e.).

Will we get a Beehive today?  Yes!  Indicator i.e at 1101.

And finally in other news, Snow Lodge opens today, so you should see more layered figures stumbling around on the boardwalks...

Happy solstice,

Carolyn Loren