[Geysers] West of Norris comments

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Sun Dec 19 10:19:04 PST 2010

In receipt of the December 2010 issue of The SPUT, I wish to make a few
comments (not corrections, mind you) about Jake's article about the thermal
area  "west of Elk Park" aka "northwest of Norris Geyser Basin." I have
visited that  area four times, most recently in 2004.

Name of the area: Jake is correct in that the area really does need a more
proper name. For two things, it is neither west of Elk Park (decidedly
north-northwest of there) nor west of Norris G. B. (still a bit north of west
from there). Since the stream that drains the thermal area is a tributary to
the  creek that drains the Nymph Lake area, perhaps Nymph could be used in
a name?  But better, to me, is that like Jake, I too saw fresh bear tracks
on one of my  trips in there. So "Beartrack Springs"?

Jake interestingly makes no mention of the pool in his "South Group" that
is/was at the far southwest corner of that area, roughly 300 feet southwest
of  Jake's point "B". On all of my visits, that was by far the best (really,
the  only) deep, clear, blue pool in the area. Is it no longer there, or
was it just  missed?

Of the three geysers that I know of, one was in the "South Group", one in
the "White Wall Group", and one the big geyser in the narrow canyon/defile
between White Wall and the explosion craters. Different observers, (notably
here, Paperiello versus myself) might well have seen different features as
geysers, because I feel one of mine is Jake's feature #2, which I saw as
intermittent but never taller than about 3 feet. A second geyser was adjacent
to  the creek in the upper part of the White Wall area.

As for the big geyser, I could swear it was roughly 150 feet downstream and
 across the creek from Jake's #6, rising from a much steeper hillside. I'm
really  quite certain of this. When last seen, it barely steamed.

By missing the "West Group", Jake didn't miss very much.

The big explosions, by the way, occurred in 1987.

Finally, on one of my visits to the area, we could hear a loud booming from
 quite a distance. It turned out to be a mud pot playing back within a
cavernous  opening in the "North Group", by my once-again-perhaps-very-hazy
recollection at  the southwest end of Jake's feature #10.

Anyhow, just a few points of info.