[Geysers] OFVC Logbook -- Please Read

Mary Beth Schwarz schwarzmb at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 17:39:10 PDT 2010

     Twenty-seven geyser gazers are on the "list" in the current OF log book
for summer 2010 as far as I know.  This "list" (which includes people such
as Jim Scheirer, Barbara Lasseter, Vicki Whitledge, Ralph Taylor, Steve
Eide, etc) is composed of people who visit the park frequently and have
bothered to enter data in the past or have given us sheets of paper with
their data to be inserted.

     The Visitor Center does put a "VR" next to times from people who are
not on the list for writing in the book.

     If you are not able to enter your data directly into the log book, you
could put it on paper with the date and eruption times and your signature
(and e-mail address in case there are problems reading the times).  Then you
would need to give the paper to one of the gazers in the park who do write
in the book or give it to me and I will try to get the data into the log
book.  I have a limited time each day in the park but certainly all the info
is important.  Please do not e-mail times to me since I have no printer and
cannot take time to write all the data 2-3 times.  People who turn in data
on papers for insertion into the log book often get on "the list."

     ___David Monteith made an important point.  WE are the ones who want
all the eruption data written into the log for ourselves as well as the
historic record, so WE need to collect data and see that it gets to the log
book___.

     I have never witnessed anyone being denied access to look at the OF log
book.  Sometimes it is not available for various reasons such as when Old
Faithful is erupting and the Ranger prefers to write the data directly in so
it is not forgotten in the rush of visitors after the eruption.  Any visitor
is usually allowed to look at the book (that would include all of you).

     There are some features for which we usually do not enter data
including Old Tardy, Tardy, Spasmodic, Anemone, Pump, etc.  If you have a
question, please ask when you are in the park.  You could also look at the
log books that are posted on the GOSA website to see examples from past
years.

     In some years there is too much data for the log pages, but that has
not been a problem recently.

     Mary Beth Schwarz