[Geysers] OFVC Logbook -- Please Read

caros at xmission.com caros at xmission.com
Sat Aug 7 22:20:30 PDT 2010

This is really odd. We've never been told no when we've asked to see
the log, although some rangers do ask that you don't just walk up to
it if it's on the little side desk where it usually sits. Again, my
objection is having gazers who actually know what they're talking
about but aren't on "the list" have their reports qualified by the
term "visitor report." This may be my own ego talking, but I feel this
term casts the report in a suspicious light, like they're saying,
"Yeah, take *this* one with a big grain of salt" and I find this
objectionable. 20+ years up there ought to be worth something even if
our circumstances don't permit our family to stay there for big chunks
of the summer. I've taken to radioing or just passing along times to
people who can disseminate them and maybe get them into the log
without the qualification.

I think Lynn's loss is everyone's loss and the quality of info of her
own, esp from Lower, and that of others that she helped to transcribe
has deteriorated severely with this lack of renewal. I can't believe
with the economy they turned away a *volunteer* who has a long history
with the park and was so diligent at data collection and recording.
Everyone needs to run over to Twitter and follow the link to the grant
the Coca-Cola company is offering to one lucky park --- even with
record highs for visitors, Yellowstone is trailing the pack.
Volunteers get so little in return for all their work but if economics
are affecting even the little they get, maybe $100K would help. (OK,
just bypass Twitter; the link is
http://www.livepositively.com/#/americasparks)
Karen Webb

Quoting inezaustin at aol.com: