[Geysers] Miscellaneous (Stephens)

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Mon May 25 04:46:08 PDT 2009

Just a few quick items, again, not for reproduction.

Black Diamond:  I also have the file of pictures on a thumbdrive and will usually have that thumbdrive in the pickup, so will

be able to copy the folder to people's laptops while they are in the park.

I'm sorry, but I do not know the identify of the individuals who took the photographs.  Hank Heasler copied the file onto my thumbdrive and requested that I make them available.   If you reproduce the photos for any purpose, such as placement on a website, etc., please, please remember to give appropriate credit, something such as "Photographer unknown; photographs forwarded by Henry Heasler, Yellowstone Park Geologist, permission was granted by the photographer for public use."  In the past some photographers have refused to provide the Park Service with copies of photos because people (other than the NPS staff authorized to do so) had reproduced the photographs without appropriate acknowledgement.  We are lucky that these photographers granted the use of the photos so let's be careful out there and not abuse the privilege.

Miscellaneous:

Till is having short intervals.  One closed interval 9h01m, one recorded overflow 24 minutes, durations 30-32 minutes.  I timed a cycle of minors yesterday, which consisted of 18 eruptions with the last eruption occurring 3h40m after the start of the minor.

Flood:  Continues to have only major eruptions (about 6 minute durations) with no intermediate length druations.  Intervals about 55-65 minutes.  I have seen no variation in West Flood's overflow--no boil up, vigorous activity, followed by a drop in the pool level below overflow.  Lack of activity from West Flood is probably the reason Flood's intervals are about an hour rather than two hours.

Great Fountain:

    Intervals of 11h45m and 12h51m.  Overflow durations--82minutes, ~82 minutes (I barely missed the start of overflow) and 77 minutes.  I will probably adjust the +/- 15 minute prediction to use 65 to 95 mintues.  Of course, as soon as I do that, the prediction will go outside the far side of the window.

White Dome:

     Intervals as short as 16 mintues and as long as 1h25m (yes, that was definitely a closed interval, I was sitting there watching Gemini).

Gemini:  Active morning of 5/24.  Dave Monteith and I were leaving Great Fountain.  He saw forced steam at 08:03, which I missed.  Unfortunately, he couldn't stay around but I could.  Gemini had eight additional eruptions before concluding the series.  Intervals were 7-9 minutes.

I have seen nothing from the UNNG in Tangled Creek.

Pink Cone Group:

Bead intervals about 30 minutes; Box Spring intervals variable as always.  KC and Julie Thomson saw Labial yesterday (5/24); I saw a Pink.  Pink Cone has had no daylight eruptions since the road opened.  It was gurgling strongly but road bubblers were still not active when I passed it at 2100 last night.  No visible activity from Dilemma has been reported.  Narcissus yesterday--0534ie per Lynn, 0751ns d ~ 6 minutes per KC and Julie, 1138 per KC and Julie, then missed an eruption before 1722ie per Lynn.

Fountain--Double interval overnight 5/23-5/24 averaged 6h57m; Closed interval yesterday (0715ns to 1407) of  6h52m.  When I left at 2100 Fountain had not yet started the next eruption.  Per KC, Jet was not active from at least 1259 until 1433 yesterday (he reported a Super Frying Pan at 1259, Fountain at 1407, Twig at 1427, and first jet at 1433.)

Lynn Stephens