[Geysers] Small Local Earthquakes

Michael Goldberg mikeg at math.jhu.edu
Mon May 25 12:23:20 PDT 2009

It looks like there was a flurry of small earthquakes (largest was 2.9)
overnight, about 5 km north of the Fountain Group and at various
depths.

I recall that Gordon Bower had an approximate formula for predicting
whether an earthquake might produce discernable effects on geyser
activity.  I hope he'll re-post it here.  My first guess is that maybe
some features in the Kaleidoscope Group would be affected (although
things change so rapidly there anyway, how would you tell?) but the Upper
Basin would be to far away to expect any response.

Michael Goldberg
mikeg at math.jhu.edu