[Geysers] Geyser Report May 5-8, 2009

Bill Warnock billwarnock at wyellowstone.com
Sat May 9 12:51:36 PDT 2009

May 5

Castle 0130E min  1512E  min  2245 maj
Daisy  0820E  1102  1325  1605  1828  2046  2254
Grand  0453E  1251E  2056E
Riverside 1200 vr
Beehive  0803ie
Lion  0542ie

May 6

Grand  0629E  1427 (1 burst)
Lion  1051  1217
Plume  1120  1235  1358
Castle  1354ns maj
Daisy  0109E  0325E  0617E  0855E
Riverside  1236 vr

May 7

Castle  0333E
Daisy  0652E  0916E  1131  1408
Grand  0459E
Riverside  0749
Beehive  0709  Indicator  0658
Grotto  0622ie
Lion  0750  1550ie  1655ie
Artemesia  1405ie

May 8

Castle  0618 min  1226ns  maj
Daisy  0810  1031  1253  1518
Grand  0645  1620 G1Q
Beehive  overnight
Fountain  0536ie
Oblong  1015ns
Plume  1134  1252    1645
Lion  1155 min
Aurum  1229
Grotto Fountain  1354
South Grotto Fountain  1359
Grotto  1407
Riverside  1512
West Triplet  1629

This report is rather spotty and includes the main info from the geyser log as well as my own times, but Professor Jim is just back in the basin, so should have fuller reports.

On my way in to the Park on Friday morning, a man was walking along the boardwalk in Lower Basin, past the closure signs, happily puffing on his cigarette.  At Midway Basin, at least 10 people had gone past the barricade and were on their way up past Excelsior.  I flagged a protective ranger on the road and told him about these situations, also remarking that I believe these unprecedented blanket closures of two top attractions were quite unnecessary and counterproductive.  Biscuit Basin was closed off when I went by because of a wolf which had been behaving rather strangely.  I saw several new baby bison for the first time.

The weather on Friday was splendid, if a bit nippy.  The full sun eruption of Grand was a delight.  I won't be back in until Monday, but will report further then.