[Geysers] Firehole Bear Management Area - in NPS press release

Seeyellowstone at aol.com Seeyellowstone at aol.com
Fri Mar 13 06:51:39 PDT 2009

I still believe that I see way more bears in the Northern Range than I do  in
the Firehole BMA, this is just my 40 years of life experience in the
Yellowstone area.  By closing things, you are not teaching people how to  live with
bears.  I do believe there is enough volunteers out there, Id be  willing to
bet that many of the geyser gazers would be willing to help monitor  bear
activity.

In the Northern Range, the bear rangers and volunteers have taught the
public over the last few years about bear etiquette, and no we see many of the
wildlife watchers and wolf watchers policing themselves.  It is much better  to
educate the public on how to react to bear sightings than it is to  have an
uneducated public.  There is not enough bear rangers in the  Northern Range,
however, every year people are getting a little better about  policing themselves,
which means people get to see the bears from a safe  distance.  The park
drums up about 20 volunteers for the elk rut in  Mammoth, I find it hard to
believe they can't find that number for the Old  Faithful area in the couple of
weeks the bear activity is at it's  greatest.

The bear numbers have exploded over the past ten years, likely because of
the additional food provided by wolves.  As bear numbers continue to grow  does
this mean we will have to close Yellowstone altogether?

I do not believe the park keeps track of very many den sites of the bears,
this would be an impossible task.  as for the carcasses, yes last year  there
was a carcass pile placed at the entrance of Firehole Lake Drive, which
attracted bears to the front country, a questionable move.  Firehole  Lake drive
could of been easily plowed or a better location would have been the  Freight
Road for a mile in, which would have attracted the bears away from the  road.  As
of this date, and I have been at Fountain over 50 days this  winter, there
are no carcasses anywhere near the boardwalk.  Also, the more  human activity in
an area, the less likely there will be bear activity in the  area.  Sure
bears may pass through from time to time, but it's Yellowstone  National Park, it
happens.

I do not oppose the temporary closures of trails because there is a carcass
in the area, that is just common sense.  But to close an area that has  never
been closed in the park's history because a bear may pass through is
ridiculous.  By closing these areas, encourages the bears to stick around  longer.

This is just my 2 cents worth, being raised in the area.  Are there  any
other geyser gazers out there willing to volunteer at bear jams with a can  of
bear spray, a vest and the willingness to educate the visitors about the  bears
as well as the geysers?  I bet we could come up with at least a  dozen
volunteers.

Jim
YTG
steps!