[Geysers] Weekend Geyser Report (9/26 - 28) Kitt Barger

Barger bkbarger at bresnan.net
Mon Sep 29 18:20:00 PDT 2008

     I arrived at Old Faithful at 8 PM on Friday, Sep. 26th, and was looking forward to a weekend full of good weather and lots of geysers.  Upon my arrival, I went to the Visitor Center to check the log book and see what predictions were posted.  Darkness had descended upon the basin and the sky was loaded with stars.  I decided to check on Fan and Mortar since an eruption wasn't posted in the book.  I bundled up and took only a flashlight to limit the time that I would stay down basin.  Bedecked with a headlamp, I paused to note Lion at 2029 ie, and then cautiously pedalled my bike s-l-o-w-l-y down the path as I listened for bison and other critters.  I arrived to find Fan in "garbage mode", and I couldn't identify a marker on Fan.  The area was dry (although I don't know if anyone was in the basin Friday).  At 2101, after several roars that shut Fan's vents off, Main Vent started splashing.  At 2106, River turned on and was followed by Gold at 2112, with Angle at ~2114.  Riverside Geyser punctuated the stillness behind me as it started its eruption at 2121.  Fan's water levels were good until 2130 when the geyser gave up.  I headed back to my car with elk buggling in the area and saw Lion in eruption at 2156.  There was a Plume at 2201 and then I headed to Great Fountain just to check on it.  Great Fountain was getting close to over flow, but I decided that if I was going to get up very early, I had better get some shut eye.  I left Great Fountain at 2245 (figuring within minutes over flow would start).
     Saturday morning was crisp and required many layers of clothing.  I waited until 5:30 AM to check on Fan & Mortar.  Just as I was afraid, I was too late.  The board walk was coated with frost except at Spiteful where puddles of water were frozen in place and a damp "V" shaped triangle darkened the path across the boardwalk from Spiteful.  At least I hadn't just missed the eruption, but I was still a little annoyed at myself.  I headed past the noisy erupting Grotto and was just into the open area when Rocket's tone changed.  Rocket major at 0553 ns!  I turned my bike around and went back to listen to the eruption.  A sliver of a crescent moon was just climbing over the hillside, but it didn't help me see the geyser.  I pedalled to Castle and decided that I would check on Grand (based on the over night prediction for 12:30 AM).  Rift was in eruption at 0620 and ended at 0707.  West Triplet was sloshing and almost drained by 0630.  Grand's pool was full and over flowing with a small herd of bison bedded down at the northern end of the boardwalk.  Artemisia's steam cloud went skyward at 0743 ie and Daisy was also at 0743 ns.  I noticed a steam cloud from geyser hill at 0746 (?Plume).  Another herd of bison was scattered all over the Sawmill/Spasmodic area.  A visitor walked right through the herbavors causing them to move and then the man came over to Grand.  I explained to him that I wouldn't suggest continuing, since there was a group of  bison to the north of us (and I pointed out that they were next to the board walk).  He went toward them and took a picture, then returned to look at Grand's pool.  I was definitely not happy with the bison movement.  Some were crossing below Sawmill, above Sawmill, going around Spasmodic, etc.  I set my pack next to the tree at the bench and had picked which part of the boardwalk I was going under if the animals got any closer.  At 0800 Turban erupted and the bison male called to the bedded down group that was north of us.  It was a wake up call!  The animals were on the move and the other herd closing in.  I remember giving the visitor some words of wisdom as I slide over the side of the cold boardwalk and tucked myself below it.  Several animals had started coming towards us on either side of the southern end of the jugwalk.  A bull stopped approximately 15 feet from my location and stared at me laying on the cold ground.  I averted my eyes and lay very still and whispered several prayers as he finally he moved on.  I could hear other animals slipping and slidding as the crossed the walk near the tree.  I don't know where the visitor was during this time, but when I didn't hear any more animals, I cautiously peeked out, then climbed back onto the cold jugwalk.  I could see the visitor heading back toward geyser hill.  Other visitors joined me, talked about what they had observed the male visitor do, while we waited for Grand.  Castle erupted at 0841 with a 7 minute minor.  We heard a Plume call at 0853 and Grand's overnight time was radioed.  (Grand 2303 electronic!)  I pointed out to the group of visitors that Grand's pool was full and we were due.  Grand at 0856!  It was a beautiful backlit T1Q.  I had just updated Grand's sign, when I noted Oblong at 0909 ie.  Lion's steam cloud appeared over the hill at 0916 ie (so I sent several photographers who had wanted to see a Lion in that direction for a possible follow up eruption).  I headed for Geyser Hill only to see Riverside's steam cloud at 0930 ie.  The boardwalk from Beehive's sign past Depression was soaked with puddles of standing water at 0930 when I arrived to check on Beehive which already had water sloshing around inside.  Daisy was at 0946 ie (per steam cloud).  Plume was at 1000 and I was excited to hear Bill W.'s voice on the radio, but alas he left to try for Great Fountain and I got a Lion minor at 1031.  Lion did follow up with a 4 minute eruption at 1051 much to the joy of the photographers.  I returned to the car and decided to check on Great Fountain only to find it finishing up at 1137.  (I must have passed Bill W. so I didn't find out about the Super Burst until later.  I checked on Fountain (based on 2 eruption times that were in the log book from the 26th), but I was too early.  I went to down load geyser times into the log book, then headed back out to Grand.  I waited for the 1527 Turban then headed to Oblong.  I noticed Riverside at 1529 ns as I headed to check on Oblong.  (Grand's window started at 1545.)  Oblong had a nice rise, then started to drop slightly, and it was time for me to head back to Grand.  I passed the Ranger led group at Chromatic, then paused.  The group had just passed Oblong when I noticed that Oblong's water was up again, so I quickly returned just in time to hear the first thumps.  Oblong 1545 (I radioed) then I verbally called Oblong (in case the group wanted to see a geyser).  Daisy was ie at 1557, as I arrived back at Grand.  The 1628 Turban was a Vent Delay with Grand finally erupting at 1724 (a V3/T2C).  Several visitors had asked for mini training sessions on what we watched for and how to figure out the next eruption time.  They noted the 2:15 AM prediction and said they would see me in the morning before 9 AM.  (There were Plume's at 1457, 1555, ____, 1752, and 1848.)  West Triplet started at 1731, and I went to Castle to watch for the overdue Major while I waited to head to Great Fountain for the night eruption.  Daisy was at 1757 ns.  I realized Rift was ie at 1812 (probably near start).  Castle continued to have big sloshes (but no eruption) as I abandoned it at 1930 to head to Great Fountain.  Great Fountain erupted in the dark at 2154 with a pause of 4 minutes and the next day I found out that Castle finally erupted (per electronic) at 2203.  I went to bed exhausted and slept in until 7 AM.
     Sunday,  Sep. 28th, was crisp with the promise of a beautiful day to come.  I headed straight to Grand noting a Plume at 0723 and Old Faithful at 0731 (a long).  I saw a Turban at 0731 that was fairly weak.  When the logger was down loaded it was found that it had quit recording.  Yikes! No information.  I watched a Raven fight with an Osprey for a fish, and then a determined Eagle ended up with the fish.  Turban intervals were all 23 minutes apart, so I went to geyser hill to check on Beehive.  Plume erupted at 0830 and Daisy was ns at 0851.  The boardwalks were all dry at Beehive and nothing appeared to be imminent, so I returned to Grand.  I assisted some visitors in finding the ranger led tour (which was on geyser hill) then turned to notice West Triplet was ie at 0920.  (I sent the visitors towards the hill with directions on how to get to Plume and told them that it would be erupting in ~10 minutes, so the ranger walk might be headed that way.)  The next Turban was at 0924, and Plume erupted at 0932.  Grand's eruption started at 0943 (a T1Q) and Rift was ie by 1007.  I headed to Riverside via the bike path after I updated Grand's sign, and saw Daisy's steam cloud at 1056, while I was waiting for Riverside which started at 1101.  I headed to Daisy to update the sign, but had an Oblong delay.  Oblong 1109 ie (ns) which ended at 1115.  I returned to update the Riverside sign, then headed for my vehicle.  The Visitor Center announced that an eruption at Great Fountain had been reported starting at 1047 (P = 0).  After lunch, I noticed Castle start at 1242, so I walked up and watched a beautiful 17 minute minor.  Yes, no steam phase!  Plume erupted at 1248 and Daisy was ie at 1303.  I headed home very thoughtfully.  I had had beautful weather (although the bugs had chewed on my face even with bug spray), the elk and coyotes had lent their voices to the area, the birds had battled for the fish, my first skunk in Yellowstone had appeared at Firehole Lake parking area Saturday night, and many visitors had kept me company (although some had caused me some concern).  I missed the many gazers that frequent the area in the summer.  A big thank you to the Visitor Center for being there.  The time taken to answer my radio calls for questions such as the next Old Faithful, where is the ranger walk, etc. made at least 15 people happy.  Many people sat by me and when they would hear the next Old Faithful prediction time announced, they would say goodbye and hurry to see the eruption.  I bid a sad farewell to Rebecca R., whose presence will be missed.  I know she will do well in her new permanent position at Carlbad Caverns.  Hopefully Bill W. or another gazer will be able to post an occasional geyser report.  I won't be in next weekend, but hope to see gazers either the weekend of Oct. 11 & 12 and/or 17, 18, & 19.  Sincerely,  Kitt Barger