[Geysers] Mystery

Beckykr at aol.com Beckykr at aol.com
Thu Oct 2 11:03:03 PDT 2008

My husband and I were in the park September 13-19, and we saw something  that
you guys may be able to explain to me.  On September 17 and September  18, we
saw large geyser eruptions to the Southeast from Washburn Hot Springs
Overlook.  On the 17th, it was between 10AM and 1PM, and there were two  separate
eruptions close together (in space, not time).  On the 18th when  we saw a
single eruption, I actually noted the time.  It was about  12:45PM.

I know that where we were was not that far from Old Faithful; is it  possible
that's what we saw?  The direction was certainly correct.  We  saw them the
first day when we had turned away from the overlook and were  returning to the
car. On the second day, we looked in that same direction,  expecting to see
nothing.  And we saw nothing when we first arrived;  whatever it was erupted a
few minutes later.

I know these were eruptions and not steam clouds.  Does anyone know  for
certain what geyser eruptions can be seen from that overlook?  It was  exciting
that we could see something so far away; I'd like to know what it was  just
because it was unusual (to me).

Thanks,

Becky Kraegel
Woodstock, GA