[Geysers] Geyser Report May 10-16

Graham Meech meechg at verizon.net
Mon May 19 18:45:10 PDT 2008

I just got home from a weeks trip in conjunction with my niece graduating
from college.

Scott has done a great job of keeping everyone updated, thank you Scott.  I
will just send a quick email now before some of you head to the park this
weekend.

Giant is interesting with the significant change in behavior.

Sunday May 11 – arrived in the evening

2012 Bijou pause and water in Mastiff but nothing more and then I left.

Monday May 12 – Bijou was ‘normal’ when I got there at 0615 and Grotto was
off.  Bijou was having slowdowns and pauses 20-30 minutes apart just like
the good old days.

0927 pause and bathtub d=6

1032 pause and Bijou on stronger after this

1154 pause with water already in Mastiff

1155 Giant Hot Period (GHP) d=3m10s SW vents on first, FS and Rust.  The
Bijou/Catfish (BC) vent was on briefly too.

Bijou roaring after the hot period and Mastiff started to depth charge
heavily.  This activity continued the Basin closed on Thursday!  The depth
charging is stronger than any I have seen before.

Sometimes Bijou would weaken a bit (but still be strong) and the BC vent
would come back on and Mastiff would strengthen as if a hot period or pause
had happened.

1419 boil in Mastiff and water rising

1420 GHP d=2 ½ Feather and SW, no Bijou pause

1617 water in Mastiff

1618 SW

1619 GHP d=3m50s Feather and satellite, Cave to 2’, no Bijou pause – this
was the longest hot period I saw.

SW vents off 2 minutes after Feather.

1745 SW

1746 GHP d=3m5s Feather and satellite, Cave boiled, no pause

1751ie Grotto Fountain

1805 Grotto d<18m

1845 Bathtub, no pause

1919ie Grotto Fountain

1931ie Grotto

1926 GHP d=3m40s, Feather and satellite, Cave 2’, no pause

Then things continued like this for the rest of the time I could get to
Giant.  I did see one pause on May 13th but Bijou paused after Mastiff rose.
The activity seemed to decline slightly over the next couple of days though.
Hot periods were weaker and Bijou was a little weaker although still roaring
along.

So much energy there with Cave on short hot periods, Mastiff depth charging
all the time – it often depth charged 6’ from the back vent as the water
rose.  I didn’t see Giant do any vertical surging in the afterplay although
it did surge vertically occasionally during hot periods but nothing exciting
as they were so short.  India never really got wet so there was very little
overflow from Mastiff.

Other news:

Fountain Group – With the closings I got to see two Fountain eruptions on
May 16, interval was 5h 51m, durations were 31 minutes.  Fountain started
just when I thought Spasm would start – when it was splashing up in the
vent.  Fountain beat Spasm and then flooded it before it could erupt.  Jet
had intervals of 7-12 minutes in the hour preceding Fountain for one
eruption (I don’t know when Jet started for that eruption) and the initial
Jet was 45 minutes before Fountain for the second eruption.  I could not see
any water in Fountain or Morning prior to the Fountain eruptions.

Mornings Thief did the biggest eruptions I have seen from it.  Both times it
had two big eruptions and they were 2 to 6 minutes after Fountain started.

Clepsydra paused after Fountain the one time I watched it, 6 minutes after
Fountain finished (for 7 minutes) and then again 24 minutes after Fountain
finished (for 5 minutes).  That’s the first time I have seen two pauses
although I usually leave after I see a single pause so maybe it happens
quite often.

Norris – I went to see Forgotten Fumarole which was still active on the 13th
and 14th.  Intervals were 14 minutes and heights were 6’ or maybe a little
higher.

West Thumb – Scott reported on Lakeshore which is quite entertaining
although only 1-2’ high.  It looks like Thumb Geyser has some water (at
least I think it’s the Thumb Geyser hole).  It was boiling a couple of feet.
There is some water in Twin but the Surging Spring end has less water than
last year.  Occasional is active – it erupted once while we stopped there
for lunch but I got no interval on it but it was >15minutes.

That’s about it for news from me.  Have fun over Memorial Day weekend!

Graham.